Re: Performance tuning... - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Naomi Walker
Subject Re: Performance tuning...
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sattler, Thomas (IT) wrote:
Cache, cache, cache, cache.
and consider dropping all indices until after the load is completed..

Thomas Sattler
Morgan Stanley | Technology
750 Seventh Avenue, 14th Floor | New York, NY  10019
Phone: +1 212 762-1212
Thomas.Sattler@morganstanley.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Carol Walter
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 10:35 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Performance tuning...

Greetings and Salutations...

This has probably been discussed a number of times, but I
really need your help.  I am upgrading from 8.1 to 8.2.
Right now I have the restore of the database to the new
version running.  It has been running since December 21, at
4:30 PM.  I'm in a University environment and we're in the
midst of winter break, so there is very little processing
going on on my systems.  This is actually a test run of the
upgrade.  I thought I would be able to do the test and live
during the break but as slow as this thing is going, I may be
lucky just to finish the test.  This brings me to my question.  Is
there any performance tuning I can do to make this think run
faster?
This is a Sun box running Solaris 10.

Carol