Re: how to truncate/purge the pg_xlog directory? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no
Subject Re: how to truncate/purge the pg_xlog directory?
Date
List pgsql-general
> As checkpoints are issued, old WAL files will either be recycled
> (renamed) or deleted. Change the setting, then try (as user postgres)
> issuing a "vacuum full <tbl>" followed by "SELECT pg_switch_xlog()" that
> should recycle them quicker. That'll only get you down to 3 or 4 files
> though - that's the minimum.

Nothings changed yet, maybe I need to start using the db again before I
something real happens...

>>> You might find the "pg_xxx_size()" functions useful - they are detailed
>>> in the functions/system-admin chapter of the manuals.
>>
>> Can you be a bit more specific? I tried looking for it, but the sections
>> are too big to just browse unknown information.
>
> Try looking again, perhaps?
> Go to the online manuals, go to the section on "functions and operators"
> then to the section on "system administration functions". The first
> ocurrence of the word "size" on that page is a heading for the bit you
> need.

That was not easy to find, your descriptions were not easy to dechiper.
When you said sys-admin chapter I started looking for a functions chapter
in section 3 (i.e. chapters 14-28), but you were talking about chapter
9... which is in the section about the sql language. Quite confusing.

regards

thomas