Re: VLDB Features - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: VLDB Features
Date
Re: VLDB Features  (Decibel! <decibel@decibel.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Josh,

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Sure.  Imagine you have a 5TB database on a machine with 8 cores and only one
> concurrent user.  You'd like to have 1 core doing I/O, and say 4-5 cores
> dividing the scan and join processing into 4-5 chunks.

Ah, right, thank for enlightenment. Heck, I'm definitely too focused on
replication and distributed databases :-)

However, there's certainly a great deal of an intersection between
parallel processing on different machines and parallel processing on
multiple CPUs - especially considering NUMA architecture.
*comes-to-think-again*...

>> Isn't Gavin Sherry working on this? Haven't read anything from him
>> lately...
>
> Me neither.  Swallowed by Greenplum and France.

Hm.. good for him, I guess!

Regards

Markus