Re: Hijack! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Hijack!
Date
List pgsql-general
Gregory Williamson wrote:

> * Try to see the world from a perspective other that your own
> (admittedly superior) one ! Not everyone is so advanced.
>
> * Get a life -- how people post is _trivial_. *content* over *form* !
> Beating dead horses is of no interest other than the inherent joy in
> the thing. Deal with the fact that an open mail ist will have users
> from *all* backgrounds and origins and it you can't make everything a
> fight. Pick the most important battles. Top-posting is not the worst
> sin. (not reading the manuals is the by the worst transgression,
> IMHO).

But "do not top post" and "don't reply to start a new thread" aren't for
the benefit of the people replying, it's for the benefit of the people
asking the question.

If I'm reading a message and all the information is to hand, I'm likely
to have an insight / spot mistakes.

It's the same as "Have a relevant subject-line". The easier you make it
for people to help you, the more help you'll get.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd