Re: VACUUM ANALYZE out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: VACUUM ANALYZE out of memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Michael Akinde wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am encountering problems when trying to run VACUUM FULL ANALYZE on a
> particular table in my database; namely that the process crashes out
> with the following problem:
>
> INFO:  vacuuming "pg_catalog.pg_largeobject"
> ERROR:  out of memory
> DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 536870912.
>
> INFO:  vacuuming "pg_catalog.pg_largeobject"
> ERROR:  out of memory
> DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 32.
>
> Granted, our largeobject table is a bit large:
>
> INFO:  analyzing "pg_catalog.pg_largeobject"
> INFO:  "pg_largeobject": scanned 3000 of 116049431 pages, containing
> 18883 live rows and 409 dead rows; 3000 rows in sample, 730453802
> estimated total rows
>
> ...but I trust that VACUUM ANALYZE doesn't try to read the entire table
> into memory at once. :-) The machine was set up with 1.2 GB shared
> memory and 1 GB maintenance memory, so I would have expected this to be
> sufficient for the task (we will eventually set this up oa 64-bit
> machine with 16 GB memory, but at the moment we are restricted to 32 bit).
>
> This is currently running on PostgreSQL 8.3beta2, but since I haven't
> seen this problem reported before, I guess this will also be a problem
> in earlier versions. Have we run into a bug/limitation of the Postgres
> VACUUM or is this something we might be able to solve via reconfiguring
> the server/database, or downgrading the DBMS version.

this seems simply a problem of setting maintenance_work_mem too high (ie
higher than what your OS can support - maybe an ulimit/processlimit is
in effect?) . Try reducing maintenance_work_mem to say 128MB and retry.
If you promise postgresql that it can get 1GB it will happily try to use
it ...

Stefan