Re: Release Note Changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Release Note Changes
Date
Re: Release Note Changes  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> Right, but is the white paper going to be thorough to mention _all_
>>> changes?
>>>
>> Hmmm good question which gets back to where we started :). My very first
>> thought on all of this was that we would list all notable changes but
>> that we wouldn't mention anyone's name.
>
> Isn't that listing what is already in the release notes?

No :). What is listed already in the release notes is what "you" think
is notable, which is why I mention the subjective below. What is cool to
you may not be cool to others etc... I am not saying you are doing a bad
job just that it is subjective.

Case in point I think the work that Stefan did for this release is
notable. I believe it is notable for several reasons.

1. Usability

2. Recognition (yes I am aware of the thoughts on that)

3. It was grunt work that should have been done with the original patch
that didn't get done. Stefan picked up the ball and ran with it and
produced something that will make our product more usable for the end user.

Tom and you disagreed. I understand the reasoning and I don't actually
disagree with the thought process but I think the thought process is
flawed. I do not believe people only look at the release notes for "wow
cool". I believe they look at them to see who deserves kudos in this
release.

Joshua D. Drake