Re: Release Note Changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Release Note Changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 06:31 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> I also notice that two performance features have disappeared from the
>> release notes. (Presumably they have been removed from source). Both of
>> them have changes that can be seen by users, so can't see why we would
>> want them removed.
>
> Wow, just realised 3 of Heikki's performance patches aren't mentioned
> either:
>
> - CheckpointStartLock removal

I don't think it's worth mentioning, given that we have the Load
Distributed Checkpoints in there. That alone will tell people that
there's been some major changes to checkpoints.

> - I/O reduction during recovery

This might be worth mentioning, since it can be quite a big difference
in the right circumstances, and it helps a bit with the scalability
problem of the recovery. Should mention that it only helps with
full_pages_writes=on. One more reason to not gamble with data integrity ;-).

> - Tuning of Visibility code

I don't think that was release notes worthy.

The release notes are quite long already...