Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: [DOCS] Partition: use triggers instead of rules
Date
List pgsql-patches
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> I would also add another sentence about *why* the recommendation was
>> changed. We have one rule-based setup here, and it has been working
>> flawlessly for us,... so personally I don't even know the reasons.
>>

> Rules are extremely slow in comparisons and not anywhere near as
> flexible. As I said up post yesterday... they work well in the basic
> partitioning configuration but anything else they are extremely deficient.

Ah, thanks for that summary. How do they compare to triggers dynamically
EXECUTEing the inserts? Is that a better solution, or should one really
just use the IF ... ELSIF ... ELSIF ... ELSE pattern as suggested in the
new docs? (Which means one has to re-create the complete trigger each
time a partition is added.)

Best Regards
Michael Paesold