Re: Compressed Backup too big - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart Bishop
Subject Re: Compressed Backup too big
Date
List pgsql-general
Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:
> 2007/11/15, Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee>:
>> "PostgreSQL 8.2.3 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC) 3.4.2
>> (mingw-special)"
>> Database size in disk returned by  pg_database_size() is 210 MB
>>
>> Database compressesed  backup file size is now 125 MB.
>
> How do you produce this dump? pg_dump -Fc ?
>
> If you create plain dump ( pg_dump DBNAME > dump.file ) and zip it
> (normal deflate, like winzip or sth like that), what's the size?
>
> If this is much smaller than 125MB, maybe you got some corner case
> with postgres builtin  compression.
>
> You cannot *always* expect 10x ratio... it depends on data. Maybe
> usage patterns of your database changed and now the data is less
> compressable?

We find we get much, much better compression using bzip2.

(It would be wonderful if pg_restore supported this natively, but I don't
know enough to know if it is possible or not.)

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Attachment