Is there anything special about pg_dump's compression? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jean-David Beyer
Subject Is there anything special about pg_dump's compression?
Date
List pgsql-sql
When I run pg_dump, the computer spends a great amount of time in "system"
state. Like 100% of one cpu and part of another. The small part seems to be
the postgreSQL server, and the big part the client (pg_dump) compressing the
data.

Now my tape drive has built-in compression anyway (although I could turn it
off). I prefer to let the hardware compression run since it is a nuisance to
turn it on and off and I want it on for my normal backups of the rest of the
system.

Does pg_dump's compression do anything really special that it is not likely
the tape drive already does? The drive claims 2:1 compression for average
data (e.g., not already compressed stuff like .jpeg files).

--  .~.  Jean-David Beyer          Registered Linux User 85642. /V\  PGP-Key: 9A2FC99A         Registered Machine
241939./()\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://counter.li.org^^-^^ 10:50:01 up 23 days, 4:08, 5 users, load average:
4.16,4.40, 4.44