Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Schröder
Subject Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster?
Date
Re: (Never?) Kill Postmaster?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Hah, I've got it.  (Should have searched Red Hat's bugzilla sooner.)
> What you are hitting is a glibc bug, as explained here:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-hacker/2007-10/msg00010.html
> If libpthread is loaded after first use of dcgettext, then subsequent
> uses are at risk of hanging because they start to use a mutex lock
> that was never initialized.  And libperl brings in libpthread.

Many thanks for your efforts which have been crowned with success at last!!

What remains inscrutable to me is why this problem did not arise
earlier. I cannot remember any changes that I have made to the system
recently. Or maybe it has been a defective update of the glibc? I did
not see in the bug report any hint about when this bug has been
introduced. Obviously it has something to do with the users having
disconnects, but we have been working with dial-up connections for many
years and did never see this bug.

By the way, does the "--enable-thread-safety" switch have anything to do
with the problem?

> So you need to pester SuSE for a glibc with that fix in it ...

Phew, that might be hard work, but I will give it a try. Until I have
success I will probably restart the database server once in a week to
remove those old connections.

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Christian

P.S.: Can I change the root password again?

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer