Re: krb_match_realm patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: krb_match_realm patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>   Regarding Magnus' patch for matching against the Kerberos realm- I'd
>   see it as much more useful as a multi-value configuration option.
>   Perhaps 'krb_alt_realms' or 'krb_realms'.  This would look like:
>
>   Match against one, and only one, realm (does not have to be the realm
>   the server is in, that's dealt with seperately):
>   krb_realms = 'ABC.COM'
>
>   Don't worry about the realm ever:
>   krb_realms = '' # default, to match current krb5
>
>   Match against multiple realms:
>   krb_realms = 'ABC.COM, DEF.ABC.COM'
>
>   Note that using multiple realms implies either no overlap, or that
>   overlap means the same person.
>
>   Additionally, I feel we should have an explicit 'krb_strip_realm'
>   boolean option to enable this behaviour.  If 'krb_strip_realm' is
>   'false' then the full user@REALM would be used.  This would mean that
>   more complex cross-realm could also be handled by creating users with
>   user@REALM and then just roles when a given user exists in multiple
>   realms.
>
>   I understand that we're in beta now but both of these are isolated and
>   rather small changes, I believe.  Also, Magnus has indicated that he'd
>   be willing to adjust his patch accordingly if this is agreed to
>   (please correct me if I'm wrong here :).

I've committed the patch as it was without this, because that's still
better than what we have now.

Just for the record, I've indicated that I'm willing to add the
multi-realm match part of that, but I'm not sure we want to dig into the
"krb_strip_realm" stuff this late in the cycle. At least unless someone
can confirm that we won't have issues *elswhere* from passing in very
long usernames in what I believe is not entirely specified formats.

I will try to work on the multi-realm stuff next week, unless someone
wants to beat me to it...

//Magnus