Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: hardware and For PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-performance
Ron St-Pierre wrote:
> Joe Uhl wrote:
>> I realize there are people who discourage looking at Dell, but i've been
>> very happy with a larger ball of equipment we ordered recently from
>> them.  Our database servers consist of a PowerEdge 2950 connected to a
>> PowerVault MD1000 with a 1 meter SAS cable.
>>

> We have a similar piece of equipment from Dell (the PowerEdge), and when
> we had a problem with it we received excellent service from them. When
> our raid controller went down (machine < 1 year old), Dell helped to
> diagnose the problem and installed a new one at our hosting facility,
> all within 24 hours.

24 hours?! I have a new one for my HP boxes onsite in 4 hours, including
a tech if needed...

But I assume Dell also has service-agreement deals you can get to get
the level of service you'd want. (But you won't get it for a
non-brand-name server, most likely)

Bottom line - don't underestimate the service you get from the vendor
when something breaks. Because eventually, something *will* break.

//Magnus