Re: pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Bob Pawley <rjpawley@shaw.ca> writes:
>> The latest in the saga -
>> By using - pg_restore  -h localhost -d PDW -U postgres  aurel.sql
>
>> I get the message - pg_restore: input file does not appear to be a valid
>> archive.
>
> Oh, I just twigged that you are using a plain-SQL dump file (that is,
> you didn't specify -Fc or -Ft to pg_dump).  For plain-SQL dumps you
> should not use pg_restore at all; you feed those to psql.
>
> This bites enough newbies that I'm thinking the above message ought to
> inclue a HINT to use psql directly.  We haven't previously used hints
> in client-side messages but this seems to need one.  Anyone have
> thoughts about how to phrase and format it?

Honestly, I would prefer we just fix pg_restore to be able to use plain
text format. The fact that it doesn't is a serious lack of consistency
within our client side apps. E.g; it is completely counter-intuitive to
require our "client user interface" to be used for restoration when
there is a "pg_restore" sitting in the bin directory.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake