Re: select count() out of memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Finneid
Subject Re: select count() out of memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Jorge Godoy wrote:
> Em Thursday 25 October 2007 13:36:09 tfinneid@student.matnat.uio.no escreveu:
>> Regarding dumps and restore; the system will always be offline during
>> those operations and it will be so for several days, because a new project
>> might start at another location in the world, so the travelling there
>> takes time. In the mean time, all admin tasks can be performed without
>> problems, even backup operations that take 3 days.
>
> This sounds a lot like oil exploration...  Data gathered from sensors is
> usually a few TBs, explosions have definite intervals, interference between
> sensors, etc.

Sorry I cant talk about what the work actually is, a colleague of mine
just got reprimanded for just mentioning he was working on a compression
library. The manager thought he was revealing *too much* :)

> Putting the data inside the DB fast is part of the solution, getting it out
> fast to be processes / analyzed is another part.

But you are right about that part, things needs to be fast.

regards

thomas