Bunching "transactions" - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jean-David Beyer
Subject Bunching "transactions"
Date
Re: Bunching "transactions"
Re: Bunching "transactions"
List pgsql-performance
I have just changed around some programs that ran too slowly (too much time
in io-wait) and they speeded up greatly. This was not unexpected, but I
wonder about the limitations.

By transaction, I mean a single INSERT or a few related INSERTs.

What I used to do is roughly like this:

for each file {
   for each record {
      BEGIN WORK;
      INSERT stuff in table(s);
      if error {
    ROLLBACK WORK
      }
      else {
         COMMIT WORK;
      }
   }
}

The speedup was the obvious one:

for each file {
   BEGIN WORK;
   for each record {
      INSERT stuff in table(s);
   }
   if error {
      ROLLBACK WORK
   }
   else {
      COMMIT WORK;
   }
}

This means, of course, that the things I think of as transactions have been
bunched into a much smaller number of what postgreSQL thinks of as large
transactions, since there is only one per file rather than one per record.
Now if a file has several thousand records, this seems to work out just great.

But what is the limitation on such a thing? In this case, I am just
populating the database and there are no other users at such a time. I am
willing to lose the whole insert of a file if something goes wrong -- I
would fix whatever went wrong and start over anyway.

But at some point, disk IO would have to be done. Is this just a function of
how big /pgsql/data/postgresql.conf's shared_buffers is set to? Or does it
have to do with wal_buffers and checkpoint_segments?

 ^^-^^ 11:10:01 up 2 days, 3:28, 4 users, load average: 5.76, 5.70, 5.53