Re: Ready for beta2? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Ready for beta2?
Date
Re: Ready for beta2?
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We have had very few beta1 issues.  I am thinking we should release
> beta2 next week and perhaps accelerate beta and consider a final release
> in November rather than December.  Because of the length of our feature
> freeze it is possible we are not going to have as many beta bugs.

Unfortunately, I think that's because people haven't been testing.  At
my keynote at the PostgreSQL Fall Conference yesterday, I asked the
audience of 63 people how many had built 8.3 beta and tried to run
something on it ... 3.  And these are our enthusiasts.

For me, I ran into a CC compile issues on Solaris (diagnosing now) and
haven't got much further on testing it there, although Jignesh is
already into performance testing.  Worked fine for demo purposes on
OSX.4, though, and I was able to import some old databases (Staffos,
TPCE) without unexpected issues.

Of course I would like to do a short beta, but I think we need to harass
people to test more.

--Josh