Re: Abbreviation list - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Pundt
Subject Re: Abbreviation list
Date
List pgsql-general
Alban Hertroys schrieb:
> Steve Crawford wrote:
>> My vote is to add "Appendix I. Abbreviations". Don't know if it's
>> practical for 8.3 documentation but it would be nice to add even if it
>> only has a few entries as additional ones could be collected via the
>> user notes.
>>
>> I suggest as a discussion starting-point the following inclusion criteria:
>>
>> 1. Any abbreviation/acronym that appears in the PostgreSQL documentation
>> (even if those terms may not be PG specific - we shouldn't assume that
>> everyone knows them). Good documentation practice recommends defining
>> abbreviations the first time they are used. Better still, ensure that
>> they are in the abbreviation list.
>
> Isn't this just what the ABBR tag in html is for?

Well, yes; according w3.org its purpose is to describe the
abbreviation/acronym inline in a document using a title attribute:

<acronym title="Grand Unified Configuration">GUC</acronym>

Firefox by default underlines the abbreviation with a dotted line and
displays the title when leaving the cursor on it. In a way this means
probably defining the abbreviation.

Reference: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-ABBR

--
Thomas Pundt <thomas.pundt@rp-online.de> ---- http://rp-online.de/ ----