Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Approval process for news/events/training is broken
Date
List pgsql-www
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Uh, doesn't the installer use a commercial product that isn't open
> source?

Yes, but then so does pgInstaller.

> Does requiring non-open source tools to build something make it
> non-open source?  Postgres requires a C compiler that can be open or
> closed source so I don't know if that helps clarify things.

No. The licence is on the code, not the toolchain used to build it.
Otherwise you could argue that nothing could be open source on Windows.
Or that pgAdmin I (GPL) or pgAdmin II (Artistic) or psqlODBC (LGPL) are
closed source.

/D