Re: Windows and locales and UTF-8 (oh my) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Windows and locales and UTF-8 (oh my)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Hmm.  If it doesn't need a special case, then we still lack an
>>> explanation for the aforementioned bug report.
>
>> From what I can tell that report doesn't tell us very much - we don't
>> know server encoding, we don't know server locale, we don't even know
>> client encoding. So I don't think we know anywhere *near* enough to say
>> it's related to this.
>
> In the followup we found out that he was using UTF-8 encoding:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-05/msg00264.php
> So while that report certainly left a great deal to be desired in terms
> of precision, my gut tells me it's related.  Has anyone tried to
> reproduce that behavior by initdb'ing 8.2 in a suitable UTF-8-using
> Windows locale?

It doesn't tell us if it's the client or the server that's in UTF8, and
it doesn't tell us about the locale.

Euler Taveira de Oliveira's response says he can't reproduce it. I
haven't tried myself, and that webpage really doesn't tell us what what
the character is. If someone can comment on that, I can try to repro it
on my systems.

//Magnus