Feature request: SSL Client Cert Authentication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Travers
Subject Feature request: SSL Client Cert Authentication
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all;

I decided that I wanted to bring this up here before I decide whether to
submit a proposal to -hackers.  After all, this would reach a larger
section of users than would -hackers.

Basically, I think it would be very nice to be able to use client
vertificates to actually authenticate users.  I can see a few ways of
doing this:

1)  Using the cert to authenticate with a given ldap server.
2)  Configuring to use a specific base dn and grabbing a uid field to
use as the username.
3)  Providing a mapping of the dn to username via some configuration file.

I suspect that option 2 would be the most useful, but I wanted to see
how other people thought this might need to work.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers