directory of pg freelancers - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From tv@fuzzy.cz
Subject directory of pg freelancers
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi everyone.

This year we've founded local (Czech/Slovak) PostgreSQL User Group, with
the aim to promote PostgreSQL as a powerful and reliable database
platform. We've learned that some of the local 'small companies' were
actually considering PostgreSQL, but in the end they've chosen something
else because of lack of support.

I am not aware of any local company providing consultancy in this area (I
know there's one company distributing EnterpriseDB products, but that's
not what I'm talking about). Sure, there are companies in other countries,
but none of them has a local office, which is a major drawback. And most
of these companies aim for the 'big fishes' and are not interested in
these rather small businesses.

So most of the companies would have to rely on in-house developers, or (if
the in-house developers don't know PostgreSQL) freelancers. The problem is
there's no list of freelancers who can help in case of problems, so they
usually find a single person (Pavel Stehule) and fear that's not reliable.

So we are planning to build a small directory of local freelancers who can
provide such consultancy, so that the companies know there are people who
can help them in case of problems.

I really don't want to reinvent a wheel, so I have a few questions:

- Is there a project that does this? A directory of freelancers in a
nearby area (e.g. a company located in a city needs freelancers who
work/live nearby).

- Would such project help to promote PostgreSQL in your country, or is it
a problem specific to our country? In other words, does it make sense to
build a 'global' directory or should we stick with a strictly local one?

- If you're a freelancer, would you use such project?

I know there are various sites with job offerings, but this is something
else as the companies don't need a full-time employee. The companies want
to know there is enough people who can (and are willing to) help them in
case of troubles.

I do have an idea how it should work (the basic functionality is quite
simple), and I want to find out whether to stick with a strictly local
directory or whether to think about a global one.

thanks for your ideas
Tomas