Re: Pg 8.3 tuning recommendations for embedded low-memory device (for OLPC :-) ) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Langhoff
Subject Re: Pg 8.3 tuning recommendations for embedded low-memory device (for OLPC :-) )
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:36 AM, Robert Treat
<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Call me crazy, but I think you need to drop postgres and maybe even template0
> databases from the system, just to reduce overall footprint, plus gives you
> less databases to have to keep track of wrt autovacuum and such.

What would be the impact of running w/o postgres and template0? They
seem to take 13MB on a freshly init'd Pg -- I can afford to have them
there if needed. In general, I am not expecting to be super-tight on
disk... (not yet at least)

> Also, if your disk is limited, you might want to play with the
> autovacuum_max_freeze_age and the corresponding vacuum settings to try and
> reduce pg_clog size.

Intriguing. I'll look into those.

thanks!

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com