Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/30/2007 11:55 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2007, at 6:47 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> - --On Saturday, September 29, 2007 20:04:02 -0400 Jan Wieck
>> <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just because you cannot imagine that correcting someone can be
>>> done in a
>>> polite way doesn't mean that insisting on Postgre not being an
>>> accepted alias
>>> is necessarily rude and ignorant by definition.
>>
>> Sorry, that wasn't what I was implying ... one impression I've
>> gotten from all
>> of these threads is that there have been people 'jumping down the
>> throats' of
>> ppl using either Postgres or Postgre ... not ppl 'politely
>> correcting', but
>> people being overtly rude ...
>
> If someone has a problem and they come to the pg community for help
> and the very first thing they get in response to their plea for help is
> a "polite correction", that is also rude and unhelpful. If it's the only
> answer they get it's even worse.
>
> It doesn't need to be intentionally rude to be rude.

And the whole thing is totally subjective to boot. Someone might find
that rude, someone else appreciates it and a third one couldn't care less.

The same goes in the other direction. One can find Postgre annoying,
someone else doesn't care and if it is called Pigs-Q-L, and a third one
finds it rude and ignorant to ask for help without even bothering so
much as to what the actual project name might be.

Jan