Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Streaming Onlinebackup (MaybeOFFTOPIC)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
<E1539E0ED7043848906A8FF995BDA57902685E09@m0143.s-mxs.net>, "Zeugswetter
Andreas ADI SD" <Andreas.Zeugswetter@s-itsolutions.at> wrote:

> The probably useful next step would be to pass the current length to the
> archive_command,
> so it can write the filled part of the file without the need for a
> filter.
I can see that helping a lot, but not by writing onto the file on disk.
If the file is nearly empty, that would be a lot of disk I/O which doesn't
need to happen.  One place it could help is allowing the archive script to
skip the filter if the file is full.  On files with unused space, we could
skip the rest of the input and just blast out zeros to the desired file
length.
-Kevin