Re: Using Postgres as an alias - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Using Postgres as an alias
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian a écrit :

>>> I thought you thought the FAQ alias usage was OK?  I also don't see
>>> waiting as fruitful.
>> Yes I am OK with the FAQ. I however do see waiting (not on the FAQ but
>> on the docs) as fruitful.
>
> OK, good, let's see how people feel about the FAQ changes and if it
> helps.
>
> I do think having "PostgreSQL" lots of places in the same paragraph is
> kind of long-winded, so I do think additional uses of "Postgres" will
> be good.
>
> FYI, I live near Philadelphia, but everyone here calls it "Philly", and
> there are even companies that use the name like "Philly Pretzel
> Company", http://www.phillysoftpretzelfactory.com/pretzelstory.html.  I
> don't call it "Philly" when I am out of the country because few people
> recognize it outside the USA.  Anyway, to me it shows an alias can get
> general usage without renaming the city, but I do think we should
> promote the alias in a focused way.

I completely agree on this example. But, really, I don't think the city
hall of Philadelphia uses "Philly" on official papers. City hall
officials certainly use it on interview or things like that. But they
won't write it.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.