Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> I've updated the wiki with my task list and the suggestions/comments from
> others on this mailing list.  You can now see where my estimate of 150-250
> hours comes from, which I now think is probably rather low.
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Postgres

It seems most of those tasks are just as required with
the current state of PostgreSQL as official and Postgres
as an accepted alternative -- i.e. all
the "pgsql -> [official_name]" changes in the list;
and clarification between postgres and progress and ingress.

Or are you suggesting that you see those as unnecessary
because there's so much confusion today (pgfoundry even
mentions PostgresSQL with 2 ss's) that there's no hope,
but you see it as achievable with the new name?

Some of the "Cons" seem quite artificial too - "Some corporate
supporters may be unhappy about renaming materials/marketing/packaging".
Of course - we know Josh D is.   On the other hand, some corporate
sponsors may be unhappy with the current name too.

> Now, that's as much time as I'm planning to spend on that until after 8.3 is
> out.

Yeah - This is tiring; but I'm just taking comfort in the fact that
over the years Postgres usage is consistently gaining on PostgreSQL
(as is Postgre) so the change will come sooner or later anyway.

If it seems the current name'll stick around at least for the months
your "Further Information Needed" section will take, would you like
patches to convert some of the "pgsql"'s and "postgres"'s in the code
and website to "PostgreSQL"'s?