Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 9/3/2007 11:58 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Oh, one more thing.  I think it is illustrative to look at the areas we
> _didn't_ change when we went from "Postgres95" to "PostgreSQL":  the
> super-user name and the backend binary name.  Those were kept as
> "postgres", and I remember no questions about why those are "postgres".

More to the point, looking at our recommended upgrade strategy (use new
pg_dump against old Postmaster), wouldn't it be actually wise to somehow
encode the major version number into the installation directory? I mean
seriously, we didn't have a real problem ever, but what if some day the
new pg_dump against the old postmaster produces complete garbage ... and
the upgrade just wiped the data directory with an initdb?

Jan