Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

Andy Astor wrote:
> Well, as I've said earlier, I'm a big +1 for changing the name to Postgres.

> For what it's worth, we put a naming poll on the postgres.enterprisedb.com
> site. Out of 95 votes, 54% vote for a name change, 26% say no, and 18% don't
> care. I invite this mailing list to vote its opinions, if you haven't
> already (please don't vote multiple times). Clearly, it's just one
> measurement, but in US politics, these kinds of numbers are called a
> landslide.

And typically not representative of the whole as I guarantee you most of
us wouldn't have bothered to go to that poll. Myself included.

> Bruce and others have demonstrated crisply that the work involved is not so
> great. I'm just one voice, but I think we should make the change and move
> on.
>
> Andy

Andy, the problem with your or my argument "for" changing the name is we
have something directly to gain without consequence. CMD if it chooses
could become Postgres, Inc, we already have the domain and the assumed
business name in place.

EDB gets to strengthen its brand significantly if the community changes
its name.

What needs to happen here is the community needs to look around as a
whole and so far Bruce and Jan have provided zero reason beyond, "We
really shouldn't have named it PostgreSQL because it was hard to
pronounce". Which although carries some weight it is a little pebble
compared to the effort it will take otherwise.

I reassert that there is zero reason for the community to "need" to
change its name. We simply officially provide that the name "Postgres"
is an official abbreviation.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --