Re: 8.2 Autovacuum BUG ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pallav Kalva
Subject Re: 8.2 Autovacuum BUG ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Tom Lane wrote:
> Pallav Kalva <pkalva@livedatagroup.com> writes:
>
>>     We turned on autovacuums on 8.2 and we have a database which is read
>> only , it is basically a USPS database used only for address lookups
>> (only SELECTS, no updates/deletes/inserts).
>>

>>     This database has about 10gig data and yesterday autovacuum started
>> on this database and all of a sudden I see lot of archive logs generated
>> during this time, I guess it might have generated close to 3-4gig data
>> during this period.
>>

> Probably represents freezing of old tuples, which is a WAL-logged
> operation as of 8.2.  Is it likely that the data is 200M transactions
> old?

If nothing changed on these tables how can it freeze old tuples ?
Does it mean that once it reaches 200M transactions it will do the same
thing all over again ?
If I am doing just SELECTS on these tables ? how can there be any
transactions ? or SELECTS considered transactions too ?