Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chander Ganesan
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Before anyone goes down this path too far it is very important that I
> disclose (as I have on multiple occasions before) that Command Prompt
> owns the name Postgres, Inc (and domains postgresinc.com/net/org).

I'm not sure what you mean by "Command Prompt owns the name Postgres,
Inc"...

A quick search of the USPTO shows no trademarks for postgres - or even
command prompt (it does show an abandoned trademark for "Mammoth" as in
Mammoth PostgreSQL).  I'm not sure what you mean by "owns the name", but
I suspect if you do then it probably carries no interstate weight...  I
couldn't find the name registered as a DBA in the state of Oregon
either, but I suspect the records search there isn't complete - since in
many states DBA names are done at a county - not a state - level.

As a side note - to the best of my knowledge - there's nothing that
prevents Command Prompt (or anyone) forming a company called
'PostgreSQL, Inc.' and doing business under that name...  Likewise,
there's nothing that prevents EnterpriseDB from forming a company called
"Command Prompt, Inc" if they so desire...

Of course, I'm not a trademark lawyer, so I only speak with my (very
limited) knowledge of such things....and would love to be enlightened
with regard to such things if I'm wrong (which is very possible ;-) ) .

Owning the domain is AFAIK, a far cry from owning the name...

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group