Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> On 8/28/07, Derek Rodner <derek.rodner@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> Notice that Josh owns postgresINC.com/net/org   I am still a +1

From what I understand, he also owns the "company name" "postgres, inc"
for whatever that means in the US system.

>> regardless of that.  While Josh could change his name, he would have to
>> balance the loss of the CommandPrompt collateral that he has already
>> garnered.  It is not as simple a change as PostgreSQl to Postgres.

No. And he'd also have to balance the badwill he'd get from the
community over it. Which explains why he hasn't changed already :-P

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> Ditto, I don't see the difference between that and Marc's PostgreSQL
> Inc (pgsql.com)

Yeah. And you think the presence of PostgreSQL Inc isn't a problem
today? No offense to Marc, both he and PostgreSQL Inc has done a lot of
good things, but it certainly does *not* help the community to have a
company named the same way as our OSS product that claims 7.4 has just
been released and nothing has happened with us since 7.4.

//Magnus