Re: mysql proxy - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lukas Kahwe Smith
Subject Re: mysql proxy
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bernd Helmle wrote:

>> The idea
>> of running scripts in between the "real" client and the database that
>> is ostensibly handling the presumably valuable data makes me airsick.
>> Anything that you could do in such a script, you could do with a
>> stored procedure, and you'd get the benefits of ACID along with it.
>
> I attended a talk at Froscon 2007 where Guiseppe Maxxia shows a "global
> log server" as a use case for his proxy. In my opinion, it's because
> exactly of this reason you are describing that this will never work
> reliably and i can't think of any useful "production" use case where
> someone has a real need for that.

Well there are some things postgresql most definately already has which
mysql did not before the proxy:
- connection pooling
- flexible choice of language for embedding database level logic (mysql
only has partial sql 2003 stored procedure syntax) .. and yes LUA as a
stored proc language inside the proxy is a cheap hild over compared to
what postgresql has to offer

But something I am not so sure about is stuff like:
- app independent read/write splitting for master/slave setups
- app independent auditing

Both of the above can be done in postgresql of course using triggers,
but you would at the very least need to modify the app schema to add the
triggers ..

regards,
Lukas