Re: Automating logins for mundane chores - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Automating logins for mundane chores
Date
List pgsql-general
Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> On 18/08/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>>> I am writing some simple batch scripts to login to the DB and do a
>>> pg_dump. Also, when I login to do my own SQL tinkering, I'd like not
>>> to be asked for a password every time (which, for silly corporate
>>> reasons, is quite a convoluted one).
>>>
>> It's in the environment on the client machine. If it's for your scripts,
>> you can set it inside the script before you launch psql for example. If
>> you need it.
>

> Let's say my script was in Perl or PHP. What would the variable name
> be to set this password? My script is unlikely to call psql, I'm
> thinking of using only pg_dump and pg_restore.

As long as the interfaced is based off libpq, .pgpass will work. AFAIK,
this includes both Perl and PHP, and it certainly includes pg_dump and
pg_restore.

>>> 1. Where do I set up the automated password for (a) psql stuff and (b)
>>> for bash scripts or cron jobs -- I suppose both could have the same
>>> solution.
>> a) In the home directory of the user running psql.
>> b) In the home directory of the user running the cronjob.
>

> Thanks for this. I am logged in as root. Put it there and it works. I
> also put a ".psqlrc" in the home directory and that works too! Thanks!
>
> I'd love to contribute back to the community and mention this in the
> manual for 8.2/interactive. But the community login and commenting on
> the site seems to be broken! Even after I am logged in, it does not
> show it on each page of the site, and when I submit my comment (and
> login all over again for it) it shows me a "numeric error". Where
> should I post that error?

It will appear on the site once it's been approved. But if you get an
actual error, than that needs to be fixed - please email the complete
error you get to the pgsql-www@postgresql.org mailinglist. Thanks!

//Magnus