Re: rogue process maxing cpu and unresponsive to signals - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jon Jensen
Subject Re: rogue process maxing cpu and unresponsive to signals
Date
List pgsql-novice
> I think you'll find that "kill -9" doesn't do anything either, and
> the only recourse is a system reboot.  What this sounds like to me
> is that the kernel has gotten wedged trying to perform some operation
> or other on behalf of that process.  Problems like a stuck disk I/O
> request are often found to result in unkillable, un-attachable processes.
>
> How up-to-date is your kernel?  Seen any signs of hardware problems
> lately?
>
>             regards, tom lane

The kernel is 2.6.15-1-686-smp, and we haven't seen any other problems
on this machine till now.

I was hoping there was some other solution, but you are probably
right... I'll investigate some more to see if I can find any other
workarounds, but I'll probably just have to bite the bullet here pretty
soon.

Jon