Re: communication protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Omar Bettin
Subject Re: communication protocol
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2007-08-09 kell 17:12, kirjutas Omar Bettin:
>

> Why not just set up an ssh2 tunnel with both encryption and compression
> and access your remote db over that ?

I know that possibility, but I'm just thinking probably an "ad hoc"
protocol for applications  that needs to locate, range, skip, lookup,
bookmark etc... a lot
of records, could increase the system performance.
By that, I don't want to discuss about PostgreSQL performance by itself
but about a to much "generalist" protocol.
With libpq, after you got the result, you have to implement locally some
find, range etc, routines and on the other side there is a DBMS born to
do that!

My application need both type of connection LAN/WAN and here (in Italy)
still some lack of wide-band infrastructure.
Also installing certificates on a LAN contest is a bit a "dirty" way to
solve the problem.

Omar