Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations
Date
Re: Dell Hardware Recommendations
List pgsql-performance
On 9-8-2007 23:50 Merlin Moncure wrote:
> Where the extra controller especially pays off is if you have to
> expand to a second tray.  It's easy to add trays but installing
> controllers on a production server is scary.

For connectivity-sake that's not a necessity. You can either connect
(two?) extra MD1000's to your first MD1000 or you can use the second
external SAS-port on your controller. Obviously it depends on the
controller whether its good enough to just add the disks to it, rather
than adding another controller for the second tray. Whether the perc5/e
is good enough for that, I don't know, we've only equipped ours with a
single MD1000 holding 15x 15k rpm drives, but in our benchmarks it
scaled pretty well going from a few to all 14 disks (+1 hotspare).

Best regards,

Arjen