Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hans-Juergen Schoenig wrote:
> hello everybody,
>
> one of our customers wants to store the code of interpreted procedures
> (PL/pgSQL, PL/Perl) and so in an encrypted way.
> so the idea we had to add one more column to pg_proc telling us
> whether prosrc is encrypted or not. people could chose then whether to
> crypt codes there or not (speed of decryption can be an issue).
>
> should not be hard to implement ...
>
> what do people think about this feature?

Perhaps you could give us a justification for it. Are you intending to
have stored procs contain security sensitive information? Or is this an
attempt to hide closed source code from prying eyes? Where would the
encryption keys be stored? And how would it work with pg_dump?

This doesn't sound very well thought out, frankly.

cheers

andrew