Re: .NET driver - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: .NET driver
Date
Re: .NET driver  (Shachar Shemesh <shachar@shemesh.biz>)
List pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-08 at 09:26 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> So what are *you* doing about it? This is open source, where if you want
>> it and it's not there you make it. Otherwise you're just one more
>> whinger wanting something for nothing.
>>

> I don't agree with this attitude at all: we should be listening to our
> users, not insulting them for their feedback. We can (and should) ignore
> certain suggested features, but the idea that asking for a feature is
> "whinging" if it doesn't include a patch is plainly wrong, IMHO.

Well, contributions come in many forms, not just patches. Note too that
almost all the requested features had nothing to do with core postgres,
which is what this list is about (IIRC the exception was support for
logical column ordering, which is already on the TODO list).

Perhaps if there had been less "MySQL/Firebird is great and you guys
suck" about the original post I would have reacted less strongly :-)

cheers

andrew