Re: Linux distro - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: Linux distro
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:29 +0200, paolo@ecometer.it wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I bought a Dell server and I am going to use it for installing PostgrSQL
>> 8.2.4. I always used Windows so far and I would like now to install a
>> Linux distribution on the new server. Any suggestion on which distribution
>> ? Fedora, Ubuntu server, Suse or others?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Paolo Saudin

My 02c,

I'm pretty promiscuous when it comes to distros, as I want to run
applications, not fuss with an OS, so which ever distro works best for
me gets used. I've recently played with Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian,
OpenSUSE, SLED, Fedora Core, SImply Mepis & a few others (including
running Postgres/PostGIS on them all)

I don't think it really matters for Postgresql, most distros will run it
fine. If you want a genuine basic server setup, maybe without any GUI,
then avoid distros which focus more specifically on desktop ease of use.
Perhaps look as BSD?

If you want a workstation system, where there needs to be a good mix of
desktop & server capabilities, a more generic system is preferable.

If you want to set up essentially a desktop system, but run Postgresql
on it, then any popular desktop distro will work.

While Ubuntu & Mandriva (for example) focus on ease of use, they also
have less commonly used server versions. OpenSUSE is the distro I
currently prefer, it seems to do all I want better than the others I've
tried recently. All the server stuff with a good set of desktop apps.

I suggest you look at www.distrowatch.com to see their comments (but
remember everyone has different likes & dislikes, so treat any review
with caution, as your opinion may vary)

HTH,

  Brent Wood