Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Mair
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs. MySQL: fight
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> After today's flurry of messages on this topic, I found myself wanting a
> summary of what I'd learned about the current state of things before the
> details slipped away.  Somewhere in the middle of writing that, it
> morphed into an advocacy piece, so I figured why not put it on the Wiki:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php?title=Why_PostgreSQL_instead_of_MySQL
>

> I may circle back to filling some of the stub sections myself
> eventually, you're all encouraged to beat me to it.

Hi,

2 additions to the mail-to-wiki gateway ;)
(I don't have wiki write access).

In addition, it doesn't support transactions that would allow the database to have [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID
ACID] properties.

->

In addition, it doesn't support transactions or foreign key constraints that would allow the database to have
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACID ACID] properties.

Also mention my favourite MySQL gotcha
( from the 5.1 manual at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/create-table.html ):

   "The CHECK clause is parsed but ignored by all storage engines."

Bye,
Chris.