Re: script binaries renaming - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: script binaries renaming
Date
List pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek.Kotala@Sun.COM> writes:
>> There is group of people who has different opinion. The main reasons for
>> this patch are 1) names could collide with system tools
>
> That argument is purely theoretical, though, since no one has complained
> to us of an *actual* collision.  With these utilities having been around
> with their current names for more than ten years, I think we've
> established sufficient squatter's rights on the names ;-).

You have right on linux/*bsd world where postgres is squatter :-) for long time.
But in Solaris world (and probably in HP-UX, AIX...) postgresql does not have
established these squatter's rights. And names as "createuser" is something like
reserved keyword for OS utilities.

        Zdenek