Re: Execution variability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Execution variability
Date
List pgsql-general
Vincenzo Romano wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 June 2007 23:46:25 Vincenzo Romano wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> I understand this can be a ridiculous question for most you.
>>
>> The very same query on the very same db shows very variable
>> timings. I'm the only one client on an unpupolated server so I'd
>> expect a rather constant timing.

> What's really weird is that after some time the timings get back to
> normal. With no explicit action. Then, later, timings get worse again.
>
> I fear it can be a "DBA problem" but but still have no clue.

So what's the computer doing? If it is the "very same" query on the
"very same" data then something else must be happening in the
background. Check the output of top/vmstat (or Windows equivalents) when
this happens and see if there's a clue.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd