Re: Proposed Feature - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Proposed Feature
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Naz Gassiep wrote:
>>
>>> I'm using PG on windows for the first time (as of about 6 minutes ago).
>>> I was thinking that it would be great to have a system tray icon with a
>>> running indicator, kind of like the way Apache2.x for windows has, or
>>> even MSSQL. Perhaps the PG logo with a small white circle with a red
>>> square or a green triangle in the same fashion.
>>> Just a thought.
>>>

>> And what does the icon show or do?
>>

> That would be pretty easy to do with Delphi.
> I could whip something up and donate it to the project with a BSD license.

I think it'd be reasonably easy in any language really, but that's
beside the point - if you're volunteering to do it, you get to pick
language :)

Does Delphi bring in any additional runtime requirements, though? I
don't think we'd want to add a big extra runtime for such a small thing.

> It could be a green "Play" arrow if the service is running and a red one
> if it is not, then have a few right click options
> to start/stop/restart the service.

How would it deal with multiple servers (same or different version)
running on the same box? I did think about this for 10 minutes back when
we first did 8.0 for win32, but I got stuck somewhere between that
question and the fact that I didn't need/want it myself :-)

//Magnus