Re: Transactions and Exceptions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Transactions and Exceptions
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bart Degryse wrote:
>> 2. Using dblink / dbi-link to reconnect to the database, which means
>> your logging will take place in its own transaction.
> This I like more. Though I don't use either dblink nor dbi-link, I do use this kind of
> 'double' connections already for other purposes in which transactions were never an
> issue. So it never crossed my mind that I could use them for this too.
> For the time being that's the way I'll walk. Thanks a lot!
>
> Reading your suggestions I assume PostgreSQL lacks something like Oracle's
> PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION

It might well be a useful feature (particularly for logging-style
interactions as you have). I'm not sure it's particularly simple to do
(other than by having a whole new backend as dblink will give you).

> Shouldn't it be added, are there any plans in that direction? Returning a status code
> is not always an option and using some dbi variant certainly isn't because of the
> need for perlu. So then you're stuck?!

Well, dblink is pure C iirc. I think the advantage with dbi-link is that
you can connect to any type of database DBI can.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd