Re: PITR Backups - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Toru SHIMOGAKI
Subject Re: PITR Backups
Date
List pgsql-performance
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> - If we don't use hardware level snapshot operation, it takes long time to take
>>   a large backup data, and a lot of full-page-written WAL files are made.
>
> Does it? I have done it with fairly large databases without issue.

You mean hardware snapshot? I know taking a backup using rsync(or tar, cp?) as a
n online backup method is not so a big problem as documented. But it just take a
long time if we handle a terabyte database. We have to VACUUM and other batch
processes  to the large database as well, so we don't want to take a long time
to take a backup...

Regards,

--
Toru SHIMOGAKI<shimogaki.toru@oss.ntt.co.jp>