Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, take 3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Load Distributed Checkpoints, take 3
Date
List pgsql-patches
ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> The only thing I don't understand is the naming of 'checkpoint_smoothing'.
> Can users imagine the unit of 'smoothing' is a fraction?
>
> You explain the paremeter with the word 'fraction'.
> Why don't you simply name it 'checkpoint_fraction' ?
> | Specifies the target length of checkpoints, as a fraction of
> | the checkpoint interval. The default is 0.3.

I chose checkpoint_smoothing because it tells you what the parameter is
for. If you want more smoothing, tune it up, and if you want less, tune
it down. checkpoint_fraction makes you wonder what you can do with it
and why you would change it.

> Sorry if I'm missing discussions abount the naming.

No, I chose _smoothing on my own. People didn't like
checkpoint_write_percent either (including).

--
   Heikki Linnakangas