Re: problems installing postgresql 8.0 on Mac OS - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From jbar@es.co.nz
Subject Re: problems installing postgresql 8.0 on Mac OS
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hello People,

My (belated) thanks to John DeSoi & Tom Lane for their
query.

I have uninstalled the old postgres 8.0 via FinkCommander,
and downloaded
the 8.2.4 binaries from the sourceforge website that John
suggested. The
installer seemed to run fine, but afterward I find that
there are no postgres
files in my /sw/ directory. It has installed files in
/Applications/ instead, but I
suspect they are just gui front-ends.

At this website <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.4>
there are two
links describing how to install postgres on mac os x, but
unfortunately neither
seem to fit my circumstances. Both use source rather than
binaries. Both show
./configure commands that will only work if I first have
postgres installed
either at /usr/local/src/ (which I believe is not a valid
path) or /users/shared/,
but I don't see any way for ./configure to work even if I
pointed it at /
Applications/PostgreSQL\ Folder/.

1. What am I doing wrong?
2. Is this the right forum in which to ask?
3. Are there better sources of information/guides for
directions on how to
install postgres on mac os 10.3.9?
4. Should I also uninstall the postgres I got from
sourceforge, & try again with
source files rather than binaries? That way it at least
might begin to more
closely fit with the installation instructions at
<http://www.postgresql.org/
docs/techdocs.4>, although I doubt a perfect fit is possible
given the
variations & perhaps dated nature of those documents.

TIA,

Joe