Re: Limitations on 7.0.3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Limitations on 7.0.3?
Date
List pgsql-general
ARTEAGA Jose wrote:
> Also worth mentioning is that I just this week found out about a very,
> very important parameter "shared buffers". Ever since the original
> person setup our PG (individual no longer with us) this DB had been
> running without any major glitches, albeit slow. All this time the
> shared buffers were running at default of "64" (8192 block size). Once I
> have got this back up and running I have since set this to 1600 shared
> buffers (~125MB). I've since noticed a dramatic performance improvement,
> I hope that I've striked gold. But cannot claim victory yet it's only
> been up for 2 days.
If you think increasing shared buffers in 7.0 improves things, you
should see what upgrading to 8.2.4 will do.

Seriously, you'll freak at the increase in speed.

7.0 = handcar: http://www.handcar.net/
8.2 = TGV:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGV

(p.s. please upgrade before 7.0 eats your data...)