Re: wal files restoration - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Frank Wittig
Subject Re: wal files restoration
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Amit,

Amit Jain schrieb:
> 1. how would i feed this wal files in to my online production database
> so it can take effect in product db.
I don't understand what effect feeding WAL files into a production
database should have. A production database installation keeps all WAL
files it produced since the last recovery checkpoint in its pg_xlog
directory and restores them automatically after it's started after an
ungraceful shutdown.

WAL file restoration is described in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html
There you find both - backup and restoration - procedures documented.

> 3. am i need to keep entire wal files or only that date wal file which i
> need to restore.
You need a base backup of the database and all WAL files written since
that backup was created. In your case this would be your 500GB database
and 2.5GB logs per day.

Greetings,
Frank Wittig

Attachment